Jackie Robinson, Making A Difference, By Letting His Bat “Speak”Posted: April 18, 2012
For one day, this past Sunday, every player in the MLB had worn for their jerrrsy number, number 42, to not only honor the memory of Mr. Robinson, but also honor the one major contribution by him, to be able to break the color barrier that resulted in the segregation of the sport for well over fifty years.
What I admire the courage and the never give up attitude of Mr. Robinson, what I admire most is that, he made a difference why he belonged to the MLB by letting his baseball bat do the “speaking.”
From the offical Jackie Robinson website:
“Jackie Robinson’s life and legacy will be remembered as one of the most important in American history. In 1997, the world celebrated the 50th Anniversary of Jackie’s breaking Major League Baseball’s color barrier. In doing so, we honored the man who stood defiantly against those who would work against racial equality and acknowledged the profound influence of one man’s life on the American culture. On the date of Robinson’s historic debut, all Major League teams across the nation celebrated this milestone.”
Not only baseball, but the United States of America, and all Americans have become all the richer for it.
- HBT: MLB celebrates Jackie Robinson Day (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Jackie Robinson’s legacy honored by MLB players (abclocal.go.com)
- Today We Also Remember… (theshaunsays.com)
- MLB Honors Jackie Robinson With Ballpark Tributes (abcnews.go.com)
- MLB honors Jackie Robinson with ballpark tributes (newsok.com)
- Vibe and Vegas Show: Real Jackie Robinson Tribute Would Be More Blacks In Management (thevibeandvegasshow.wordpress.com)
- MLB honors Jackie Robinson with ballpark tributes (hosted.ap.org)
- Major League Baseball celebrates Jackie Robinson Day (thegrio.com)
- Rare photos of Jackie Robinson resurface (clickondetroit.com)
- Jackie Robinson Day Celebrations At Every MLB Ballpark (inquisitr.com)