Yesterday, April got a little bit of the summer heat of June. While I love the warm weather of spring, having weather close to 90 degrees is not my way of enjoying spring. Also the early spring heat put a bit of a burden on the runners in the Boston Marathon.
By early afternoon, the temperature already was nearing 90 degrees in Copley Square and it was clear then, as the heat shimmered off the pavement like an oily haze, that the story of the 116th running of the Boston Marathon was not the winners — Kenyans Wesley Korir and Sharon Cherop — but the unseasonable spring sun that had runners staggering across the finish line in search of water and a place to sit down.
In the right-hand lane of the Boylston Street cool-down alley, about 100 yards from the finish, all the talk was of the heat.
- “If You Cannot Stand The Heat” (Boston Marathon, April 2012) (annem040359.wordpress.com)
- Kenya’s W. Korir, Cherop Brave Heat to Win Boston (abcnews.go.com)
- Kenyans Wesley Korir, Sharon Cherop, Win Hot Boston Marathon [Video] (inquisitr.com)
- Boston Marathon 2012 Results: Top Finishes for Notable Names (bleacherreport.com)
- Kenya’s Wesley Korir, Cherop win Boston Marathon (bangordailynews.com)
- Boston Marathon officials issue heat warning (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- 2012 Boston Marathon Highlights: Wesley Korir, Sharon Cherop Prevail (boston.sbnation.com)
- Kenya’s Wesley Korir, Sharon Cherop win Boston Marathon (thegrio.com)
- Kenyans Dominate Sweltering Boston Marathon (newser.com)
- Thousands drop out of Boston Marathon due to heat (foxnews.com)
“Hundreds of runners in Monday’s Boston Marathon had to be taken to area hospitals after being overwhelmed by heat, according to emergency responders.”
With MANY THANKS To Both WCVBtv And YouTube. Watch Video Here: