First, thank-you Ms. Summitt for helping to put women’s college basketball on the map. Second best wishes to the new TN Lady Vols Head Coach Holly Warlick. Third, best wishes to the new head coach emeritus Summitt.
Summitt, the all-time wins leader among NCAA basketball coaches with 1,098 victories in 38 seasons, was named head coach emeritus. Warlick played for Summitt and served as an assistant coach for 27 seasons.
Summitt, whose Lady Vols teams won eight national championships and played in 13 national championship games, announced last August that she had been diagnosed with early-onset dementia, Alzheimer’s type.
“I’ve loved being the head coach at Tennessee for 38 years, but I recognize that the time has come to move into the future and to step into a new role,” Summitt said in a statement released by the university. “I support Holly Warlick being named the next head coach, and I want to help ensure the stability of the program going forward.
“I would like to emphasize that I fully intend to continue working as head coach emeritus, mentoring and teaching life skills to our players, and I will continue my active role as a spokesperson in the fight against Alzheimer’s through the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund,” she said.”
With MANY THANKS To Both AP And ESPN. Read More Here:“Pat Summitt Steps Aside As Coach”
- Pat Summitt: Have We Seen the Legend Coach Her Last Game at Tennessee? (bleacherreport.com)
- DeMoss leaving Summitt, UT for job with Fever (espn.go.com)
- On College Basketball: Summitt Sticks to Business of Basketball as Other Celebrate Her Career (nytimes.com)
- Tennessee Lady Vols hurdle Pat Summitt’s alma mater (denverpost.com)
- Sports Commentary 3/27/12 (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Learning From a Legendary Coach – The Definite Dozen by Pat Summitt (haroldcameron.wordpress.com)
- The Master Motivator (slamonline.com)
- Tennesse motivated to win title for Pat Summitt in what may be her final season (denverpost.com)
- Auriemma-Summitt Feud Appears to Be Thawing (abcnews.go.com)
- Summitt’s future uncertain, Tennessee eyes NCAA run (goerie.com)