Not surprised. I sense Newt saw the hand writing on the wall for some time.
“Newt Gingrich plans to formally leave the Republican presidential race next Tuesday, senior campaign aides told Fox News, after struggling for months to turn around his sagging bid for the White House.
The decision comes after Gingrich huddled with senior advisers following the five primaries Romney swept on Tuesday night. Romney’s victories made it virtually impossible for Gingrich to secure the 1,144 delegates needed for the Republican nomination.
Gingrich’s exit is a stark turnaround from his public posture just a few months back, when in December he confidently declared following his rise in national polls that he’s “going to be the nominee.” His campaign then flagged until his blockbuster victory in the South Carolina primary in late January — Gingrich failed to follow that up with any victories save for a win in his home state of Georgia, as Romney marched steadily toward the nomination. “
This is why I am for a national primary day for all the states to vote.
Best wishes to Newt.
With MANY THANKS To FoxNews. Read More Here:“Gingrich To Leave Presidential Race Next Tuesday, Sources Say”
- Gingrich to quit White House race: GOP official (vancouversun.com)
- BREAKING: Newt Gingrich To Drop Out Next Week (thinkprogress.org)
- Newt Gingrich to suspend campaign Tuesday (rawstory.com)
- Gingrich to leave presidential race next Tuesday, sources say – Fox News (foxnews.com)
- Shock: Newt Gingrich Bailing Out (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Newt Gingrich to drop out of Republican race: Reports (thestar.com)
- Newt Gingrich Maybe Kinda Considering Dropping Out (motherjones.com)
- Gingrich to Concede Tuesday, Aides Say (myfoxdetroit.com)
- Gingrich to Concede Tuesday, Aides Say (myfoxdc.com)
- Gingrich to Concede Tuesday, Aides Say (myfoxorlando.com)