“Some of the most influential Catholic institutions in the country filed suit against the Obama administration Monday over the so-called contraception mandate, in one of the biggest coordinated legal challenges to the rule to date.
Claiming their “fundamental rights hang in the balance,” a total of 43 plaintiffs filed a dozen separate federal lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of the requirement. Among the organizations filing were the University of Notre Dame, the Archdiocese of New York and The Catholic University of America.
The groups are objecting to the requirement from the federal health care overhaul that employers provide access to contraceptive care. The Obama administration several months ago softened its position on the mandate, but some religious organizations complained the administration did not go far enough to ensure the rule would not compel them to violate their religious beliefs.
A statement from the University of Notre Dame said the requirement would still call on religious-affiliated groups to “facilitate” coverage “for services that violate the teachings of the Catholic Church.”
It is about time that not only the Roman Catholic faith community in the United States of America take this action, but also many, many other faith communities, including the Evangelical Protestant Christians as well.
With MANY THANKS To FoxNews.com. Read More Here:“Catholic Organizations Across The Country fTle Suit Against Contraception Mandate”
- Notre Dame & Catholic Groups Sue Obama Administration (wreg.com)
- 43 Catholic Institutions File 12 Separate Lawsuits Against Obama’s Birth Control Rule (thinkprogress.org)
- Catholic groups sue over federal contraception mandate (religion.blogs.cnn.com)
- Boom! Dozens of Catholic institutions file suits over HHS mandate (nicedeb.wordpress.com)
- Dolan, Catholic Dioceses Sue Obama Over Mandate (wnyc.org)
- Catholic Groups File Suits on Contraceptive Coverage – New York Times (nytimes.com)
- Catholic heavyweights challenge Obama rule on contraception (firstread.msnbc.msn.com)
- In massive coordinated effort, 43 Catholic dioceses and organizations hit federal government with 12 lawsuits over HHS mandate (catholicnewsagency.com)
- Catholics File Suits on Contraceptive Coverage (nytimes.com)
- Breaking: 43 Catholic institutions file suits over HHS mandate (hotair.com)