“We all wondered who would light the torch – and in the end the organisers sprang a surprise as seven teenage athletes lit copper petals – brought in by each of the 204 countries – which converged in spectacular fashion to form the cauldron in the middle of the Olympic Stadium.
Outside the fireworks were equally impressive and could be seen for miles.
Sir Steve Redgrave, five-time gold medallist was the champion chosen to conclude the torch’s 8,000-mile journey round Britain, but there was no doubting the night’s biggest star, local boy David Beckham, who transported the flame by speedboat under Tower Bridge to the stadium.
It was the coolest moment of an amazing show and an estimated television audience of one billion tuned in worldwide to witness what had been billed as the Greatest Show on Earth.”
With MANY THANKS To Rick Dewsbury, Ian Garland, And The Daily Mail UK. Read More Here:“Britain Fires Up The World”
- London 2012 Olympics: Athletes choose rowing champion Sir Steve Redgrave as favourite for lighting Games cauldron (standard.co.uk)
- London 2012 Olympics: Daley Thompson ignites a row with Sir Steve Redgrave over Olympic flame (telegraph.co.uk)
- Final countdown to Olympics begins (standard.co.uk)
- Sir Steve Redgrave favourite to light Olympic cauldron (itv.com)
- Sir Steve Redgrave: I’d love to light the Olympic flame (bbc.co.uk)
- Sir Steve Redgrave takes the Olympic Torch for a row (itv.com)
- London 2012 Olympics: Greatest show on earth begins! Eight billion eyes on Britain as Torch’s last lap sets the scene for a historic night in London (dailymail.co.uk)
- London set for Olympic opening ceremony (bigpondnews.com)
- London 2012 Olympics: Big stage is set for the start of the Games (standard.co.uk)
- Final countdown to Olympics begins (express.co.uk)