From the time of the opening ceremony, which had given glory to the British National Health Service and treated anything that was of business, even going back to the days of the industrial revolution as suspect, the London summer olympics were dripping with “PC“.
I remember the night that olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas won a gold medal in her gymnastics event. At the end of the presentation by NBC and Bob Costas, when he said that there are African-American girls who say “I can do that”, I did a very brief reflection of what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had said in the “I Have A Dream Speech” about one day “judging by the content of one’s character and not the color of one’s skin.” I did not see what Ms. Douglas did based on the color of her skin, but truly showing her character in putting in the long hours of practicing in order to not only get to London, but in NOT GIVING UP going for the gold in her sport.
What also troubles me is that NBC had shown a commercial for an upcoming new tv show this coming fall, “Animal Practice” which had shown a monkey doing a gymnastics event, which I thought, was truly tasteless and offensive, considering what had just taken place at the time. If anything, the very liberal NBC was the offending party in the act. What had happened was simply liberal hypocrisy on full-time display.
Overall, I congratulate Ms. Douglas for her hard work in winning the gold.
For many years now, I have come to accept that the international olympics, both summer and winter are both loaded with POLITICS. But what I have seen in these summer olympics in London, political correctness in full bloom.
Even John Fund pointed out how “PC” these olympic games have gotten. From his National Review Online article:
“The London Olympics features 302 events. But this year there clearly is a new category: racial sensitivity. These Olympic Games are rife with examples of people taking offense, and it’s time to discuss some guard rails and guidelines before political correctness takes over completely.”
Mr. Fund said it much better than me. It is time that people do the right thing and correct any wrongs before the radical left make politics out of it and PC-it.
With MANY THANKS To Both John Fund And National Review Online. Read More Here:“Olympic Political Correctness “
- Olympic Political Correctness (nationalreview.com)
- The Tolerant Leftist ( NOT! ) (thebusypost.wordpress.com)
- Black ‘idiots’ respond to Olympics champ (wnd.com)
- F1 stars on holiday: Webber and Ecclestone visit the Olympic Games in London (bertholdbouman.wordpress.com)
- Romney Told the Truth in London (rushlimbaugh.com)
- London calling……… (thingsthatmakeyouhappyblog.com)
- Criticism Does Not Actually Stifle Creativity [Political Correctness] (kotaku.com)
- 1,117,011,735 Page Views for NBCOlympics.com (tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com)
- London 2012 Olympics: The Games saved my life, says volunteer who fought cancer (standard.co.uk)
- Rep. Blackburn: ‘Congresswoman’ a politically correct misnomer (rawstory.com)