When I first heard Saturday afternoon about the sad passing of WTIC AM‘s sports talk host Arnold Dean, at the age of 82 at his home I was both shocked and sadden by his death. For a local radio market, this man was truly a LEGEND for CT, New England, and New York sports news reporting and commentary.
A memory that I do have of Mr. Dean is watching him broadcast from the University of Connecticut football field, better known as Rentcheler Field or the “Rent” in East Hartford, CT, USA before games at the WTIC AM Dog House.
Or the time when I had called his show to offer my objections to the Edmonton Oilers of the NHL trading Wayne Gretzky to the Los Angeles Kings and Mr. Dean saying in response to why it was a good idea.
What I will miss about Mr. Dean is how he was very knowledgable not only about his sports subjects, but was very smooth, just like the first cup of coffee in the morning. Plus he was truly also a gentleman and treat his guests and callers as very important.
Sadly with his passing, I and many WTIC AM sports radio show fans and friends of WTIC AM radio will never see the likes of Mr. Dean ever again.
Arnold Dean, THANK-YOU for gracing the greater Hartford, CT, area with your wonderful voice. RIP Arnold Dean
- Sports Commentary 12/10/12 (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Arnold Dean, WTIC Friend And Colleague, Dies At 82 (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Wayne Gretzky-Hockey Legend-Wayne Gretzky Foundation (airadespr.wordpress.com)
- Longtime WTIC Personality Arnold Dean Dies At 82 (allaccess.com)
- Longtime Conn. sportscaster Arnold Dean dies at 82 (newsday.com)
- Longtime Conn. sportscaster Arnold Dean dies at 82 (mysanantonio.com)
- Debbie Fiske Named Analyst For UConn Women’s Basketball On WTIC (allaccess.com)
- Hear Joe D’s Reports From Germany (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- CBA Timeline: Looking back at negotiations between NHL, NHL Players’ Association (o.canada.com)