WASHINGTON — A woman driving a black Infiniti with a young child inside tried to ram through a White House barricade Thursday, then led police on a chase toward the Capitol, where police shot and killed her, witnesses and officials said.
Tourists watched the shooting unfold on Constitution Avenue outside the Capitol as lawmakers inside debated how to end a government shutdown. Police ordered passersby and people in the Capitol and Supreme Court buildings to find shelter. Within two minutes, everyone outside had been shifted to the Capitol. The Capitol was then put on lockdown, with Capitol Police wary in the aftermath of the Navy Yard shooting two weeks ago, during which a civilian contractor for the Navy opened fire with a shotgun, killing 13.
The Associated Press reported, “As a warning was sounded, the House abruptly went into recess and lawmakers left the chamber floor. The Senate also suspended business.” The Republican House had just finished passing a bill that would have paid National Guard and Reserve members.
With MANY THANKS To Breibart. Read More Here:SHOTS FIRED IN FRONT OF U.S. CAPITOL
- Shots Fired Outside U.S. Capitol (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- US Capitol on lockdown after shots fired (king5.com)
- Shots heard at U.S. Capitol, building under lockdown (minbcnews.com)
- Police shoot driver outside Capitol after chase (ohio.com)
- Shots outside Capitol, police say 1 hurt (wane.com)
- Shots heard at Capitol, building under lockdown (billingsgazette.com)
- Police shoot driver outside Capitol after chase (journaltimes.com)
- Re: Breaking: Shots fired in Capitol, lock down (forum.prisonplanet.com)
- US Capitol lockdown ends, police officer reportedly injured (chronicle.northcoastnow.com)
- US Capitol Police say Lockdown on Capitol has been Lifted (1011now.com)