“(Updated with exclusive details of court hearing.) In a victory for City Hall, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that the city does have the right to remove the 6-month-old Occupy encampment from the New Haven Green after one last round of lively courtroom debate.
A panel of three federal judges handed that decision down Tuesday morning in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, on Pearl Street in New York City.
The judges—Amalya Kearse, Peter Hall and Barrington Parker—sided with the city and denied the Occupation’s request for a further stay against the city’s removal order. The 11 a.m. decision is effective immediately.
The decision clears the way for New Haven to resume clearing out the camp. City Hall’s top attorney Victor Bolden said the city will soon announce its directive to Occupiers on when they should leave.
Mayoral spokeswoman Elizabeth Benton decline to say when the removal would take place.
“The city has respected the rule of law and we expect that members of Occupy New Haven will do the same,” she said.”
To Occupy New Haven, time to call it quits and go home.
With MANY THANKS To Both Thomas MacMillan And The New Haven Independent. Read More Here:“Court Rules City Can Boot Occupy”
- Federal Appeals Court Rules Against Occupy New Haven (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Judge Says New Haven May Evict Occupy Protestors (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Occupy New Haven Removal Halted (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Future Of “Occupy New Haven” Could Be Decided Today (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Occupy New Haven digs in, seeks court order to let them stay (troyrecord.com)
- Moving Day for Occupy New Haven (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Anarchy – The Occupy New Haven Federal Court Hearing (ayearningforpublius.wordpress.com)
- Court rules for private lawyer hired by CA city (kansascity.com)
- #ows – keeping up (czardonic.wordpress.com)
- 04/07 B-roll day (hammerpabonsnipes.wordpress.com)
- New Haven Occupy Protesters Plan Announcement (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- #OCCUPY: New Haven Police investigate rape at Occupy New Haven Commune (REVISED) (pumabydesign001.com)
- Man’s Best Friend Found In Fire Aftermath: UPDATE (annem040359.wordpress.com)